Friday, June 17, 2005

A Choreographer's Tale (Final Chapter)

Photo stolen from someone named kris_la at livejournal. Sorry, kris!

OK Go has spent the last few weeks creating and perfecting a new end-of-set dance, which they created with the help of an internationally known choreographer. We've asked her to share her process, and to analyze the dance's deep meaning with you...

Friday.

We insert the Charlie's Angels reference as a sly foreshadowing of the violent renaissance which will bear down on the Men as the dance rushes achingly toward breathless, shuddering climax. The Junior Varsity Sequence—which finds the Men united in punctilious pep-rally puerility—begs the question: If the world is a locker room, is Tim its forgotten gym sock?

The answer, of course, can be gleaned by watching and re-watching the Dance's vertiginous, apical glissade which unfurls thus: 4-Cylinder-Piston machinations... a pugilistic hand-to-hand combat scene, including slo-mo special effects... The Reunification... The Hula... The Almighty Jazz Box, enhanced with axes-for-hands arm stylings... And finally, the SupernalSoaringSteepleTim, Lord of All He Surveys.

We gaped. We gasped. Could it really be? Yes. YES! The Dance was finito. And infinito. I was awash with primal joy, and ready to scuttle. But before I withdrawing into the night, I bestowed a Tribal Name upon each valiant Man of OK Go, a well-earned reward for a week of spiritual germination, physical fortitude, and meticulous mind-body exertion. These choreographic crusaders shall henceforth be known as Leaping Woodland Elf (Damian), Ape Who Eats Ants Off Stick (Andy), Massive Mastiff (Dan), and Fifi, The Fleet Fetal Rooster (Tim).

And now, nimble as a Timberwolf I go. May we meet again.

--Trish

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the dance at lollapalooza! Simply amazing!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! You're going to Lolla? Me too! I can't wait! The sun will be shining so gloriously on the boys as they revel in the glory of thier amazing and breathtaking dance. It will leave everyone speechless.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It shall be quite an amazing day! I must get there ridiculously early so I can be in the front!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes! Doors open at 11, I'll surely be there looooong before that.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too! I shall see you there!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is possible that i love Ok GO jus 2 much( NO, not possible)!! And i waz freaking out when i saw that clip from the dance.. very P-I-M-P indeed.
: D *come to NY*

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering who's all saying they're going to Lolla.. I'd laugh if it's all of the people who are meeting up there :)

-Pam

10:49 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

OMG that was the greatest thing i've ever seen (clip) Damn! i wish i saw you guys at iMusicast in Oakland. GRR!

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to Norway!! You have some huge fans here too :-)

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong here, I really dig Ok Go. But does anybody else out there think that this whole dance thing is weird? It's pretty over the top, and I have this feeling that I'm getting somehow offended by it. Are they making fun or something or someone?

Just wondering.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see your point and I agree that for a rock band, the dance is a pretty cool way of having an identity and being remembered and doing somoething different. But there are some pretty spiritual people out there and I have some Native Amercian friends in particular who might think all the symbolism and the Timberwolf deal and all that is taking it a little far. Yes? No?

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm yes i saw the dance when you guys were here and portland and it was quite delightful. i don't think anything in my life has ever caught my attention so well as that dance.

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy sh*t, man.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that is the best dance i've ever seen. i can't wait to see it at hudson river park in nyc. if they don't perform it i think i might have to start a riot.

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have watched that dance every single day since I first come across it. I wanna get a girl band together that lyp syncs (with no copyright infringement...)
Of Course, who wouldn't want to be Tim....

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. I think the dance is awesome. It makes me want to dance it myself. Which
I have partly memorized.

It's funny how everyone just stares at you when you start to dance it.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home