Sunday, November 13, 2005

Chapter Fifty-Two: The Bullets Bite Back
It's been a little while since my last post and much has happened, so I'm going to have to rock this post list-style. Nah, check that: I'm taking this jam bullet-list-style. Deal with it.
  • Rufus Wainwright hit on me. Swear to God. After telling him that the quality of his music and talent of his band was depressing me, he simply replied with, "Oh sweetie, I can make you happy." While he and I don't play on the same team, I can't help but think that getting hit on by a guy NME calls "one of, if not the best, songwriters of his generation" is a victory for Ol' Rusty. Rufus wins, too, because everyone knows that getting turned down by a member of OK Go is an honor in itself.

  • Not only did my parents and sister come to the Northampton show, they also brought grandmother, who enjoyed her first OK Go experience. (I considered using de-virginizing just now, but "de-virginizing" and "grandmother" in the same sentence made me barf seven times.) My grandmother loved both our and Rufus' set, but she gave me a funny look when Rufus said from stage that OK Go had "cute butts." I know how you feel, Grandma.

  • Thanks to the Toronto message board crew who brought eleventeen tons of pumpkin-related products. Our evening of intense pumpkin snackery culminated in the carving of Tim into a jack-o-lantern.

  • Speaking of Toronto, we're playing an XBOX 360 launch party in Toronto on November 21. If you want to come you have to sign-up to win tickets. Click here, to sign up.

  • In recent days, I've taken to tossing the tambourine over my head to our guitar tech during "Don't Ask Me." It just feels like the right thing to do. The one kink in that plan: ceiling beams. When I tried throwing it to him in St. Louis, the damn thing bounced off a ceiling beam and flew back into the crowd, nailing a girl in the front row. It's amazing how "cool" goes to "pathetic" in a heartbeat. To that unfortunate fan, I have two things to say: A belated "heads up!" and I'm really, really sorry.

Love,
Rusty

17 Comments:

Anonymous Matt said...

I found it hillarious that I accounted for the making of, oh, maybe 10 tons of that pumpkin related madness. Glad you guys liked it. Great show.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Felibeli said...

I wish i could of contributed to the pumpkin related products... too bad i had midterms...

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Karleigh the Fabulous said...

Rufus hit on you? That's pretty neat considering how in love with his music you are, and yet quite awkward. I know what you mean about the de-virginized/grandma thing. It's like a trick my friend plays on me, an incredible sick trick, where she asks me if i've ever imagined my grnadmother naked, and for that split second that she asks you you think about your grandmother naked. Now that I have ruined your mind, on to the other less uncomfortable topics.

Pumpkin products are the bomb. I can't wait until I go to the Cheesecake Factory again and get to have the Pumpkin Cheesecake. It's worth the 1000+ calories just to have 4 things combined in some heavenly form: Pumpkin, Cheesecake, Cheesecake crust, and whip cream.

And the girl is probably thanking you right now for (A)The awesome tambourine and (B)The awesome story with battle wound. What I'd give to be in her place.

<3Karleigh

6:52 PM  
Blogger veryspecial_k said...

Honestly Rusty (sweetie)- I must tell you that OK Go does in fact have the cutest butts per cappa of any band in the continental US. I take great joy in telling you this because I hate that girl who just gushes only about how "cute" the band is... so I don't do it. (I gush instead about your super mystical powers of rock.) However, since you brought it up, let me take the opportunity to say that you're all absolutely, positively, unequivocally GORGEOUS and DELICIOUS!!! And for that , I thank you.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. that's amazing that rufus WAINWRIGHT hit on you. i love him. and i'm a girl, by the way.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Katy* said...

HAHAHAHA. Rufus so did hit on you guys, it was great!!! My roommate read somewhere that some other musician (haven't a clue who, I'll have to ask her) has said, "When Rufus hits on you, even if you don't like men, you're still very charmed." :D

But, yeah. That whole, "I'd like to thank the cutest band in show business for opening for me...they also have cute butts," must have been awkward with the family in the audience. :\

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Andi said...

I would be honoured and flattered if I was hit in the head by your tambourine.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give it up, A Ross. You know you ache for a little taste of Rufus. You want him something fierce. Your loins are on fire, positively crawling with wanton insectival ManLust. "Ahem, ahem... don't play on the same team..." GAH! Don't even tell me that you don't want to feel the protruberant naked heat, the wailing throbbing fury of the feral hump-backed two-headed beast... THE FLAMING RUFUSTY.

Unnghh.

10:35 PM  
Blogger polkadotpartypod said...

hey! i would just like you to know that i am that "unfortunate fan in the front row" but hey! its ok! its not every day you get knocked in the head with a tambourine by one of the members of your favorite band! i'm honored i got smacked by your tambourine! also, thanks for hanging out after the show. it was lots of fun, and im definitely looking forward to the next show!

12:23 AM  
Anonymous dana said...

It's very flattering to be hit upon by a person of the same sex, especially when they are a)as talented as the amazing Mr. Wrainwright, and b)not creepy. When they're neither of those, then it's weird. It makes you want to maybe see if you swing both ways, and then something in your head catches and you think...nah. But maybe, if you get me drunk enough...

What I wouldn't give to be the girl in the front row with the tamboruine incident. That's a story to tell the grandkids.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous RoRo said...

HAHAHA the toronto msg board crew got shout outs GO TEAM US!

thx for being so awesomely nice to us!
xxoo
Ro

3:03 PM  
Blogger Lavendermoon57 said...

Rusty, you are officially the love of my life. Rufus is a sexy beast, but I'm secretly glad that you "don't play on his team" :). You guys are wonderful. I saw you play in Poughkeepsie and now can't get enough of OK Go. COME TO NEW YORK! I was actually seriously considering driving to D.C. to see you guys, but I'm going to be away...Sigh. At the show I went to, Rufus actually said: "Thanks to OK Go for openning for me, too bad it didn't go on for longer (insert humping noises)...Oh Baby". Keep the blogs coming!

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Mallory said...

Rusty, I loved it when Rufus said you guys had cute butts! I think it is probably true, and may have something to do with the well-tailored pants you guys wear. I also loved it when you came out to sit with your family. Everybody I was sitting near sort of went "hrrk!!" because you are cool.

Northampton rocked my world.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Katy* said...

mallory-

Do you live in Northampton, or somewhere around there? I'm always trying to find more OK Go fans in the area. :D

5:12 PM  
Anonymous mallory said...

smileysweetie2642:

Yes, I go to Mount Holyoke. :D I feel very lucky that OK Go has already been to Noho twice in the year and a half I've been here.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Katy* said...

mallory:

Awesome! I go to Smith. I was soooooooo excited when they came here back in March, because I already considered them one of my favourite bands then, but I just fell in love with them after seeing them live. :D

We should get together next time there's a show in NoHo (which Dan and Rusty assured me there would be :D). My email's ncosta@smith.edu if you want to keep in touch. :D

(Yay for Five College OK Go fans!!!)

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being hit on by rufus wainwright has to be the best thing that ever happend to yu. has to be.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home