Sunday, November 06, 2005

Chapter Fifty-One: New York Minutiae
In the wake of our performance at the Beacon Theatre*, we OK Go-ers wasted no time in tearing up the great city of New York.

The first stop on the trail of destruction was Fuse TV. OK, fine. It's obviously hard to reconcile "trail of destruction" and "choreographed dance" in the same sentence (unless you're waving a baseball bat at a bunch of scared ballerinas) but take my word for it: some of those kids left the studio audience on stretchers, crippled by our display of charm, manliness and in-time-with-the-music-ness. By the way, those two hosts are constantly in "Hey! I'm crazy TV show host persona person!" even when the cameras are off. It's slightly endearing, slightly creepy**, and totally answers the question "I wonder how you get a job like that?"

Next we were on to B.B. King's for the release party for Sandra Boynton's new book/CD, which features bands and celebrities singing and playing her songs. Weird Al and Kate Winslet sing a duet. Hell just froze over. I didn't understand at first that this party was for some sort of kid's product, so I got a little bugged out by the playpen area, and the huge spread of mini grilled cheeses and bagel-pizzas that served as finger food. The open bar didn't seem to fit the occasion either, but it suited me just fine. Because I don't know much about these things, I didn't realize that Ms. Boynton is one the most successful designers and authors out there. Her greeting cards sold 50 to 80 million copies a year in the 80s, and all her books are best sellers. She could crush you and kill you and then write a really cute obituary. Had any of us been smart enough to figure out how accomplished Ms. Boynton was, or that she could destroy us with her Oprah-like powers, we would have been kissing serious ass. Instead, we just stood there open-mouthed, throwing back free booze and enjoying the very odd sight of dressed-up adults getting blitzed among throngs of screaming toddlers (insert Michael Jackson joke here). Things didn't get any less weird when Weird Al popped up on stage to announce a surprise mystery guest: the Spin Doctors. The Spin Doctors? To answer your question: yes, they still exist. And they have a new album that will be heard by 1/10000000000000000000th of the people who'll listen to this kids book, probably while pooping their pants. Somehow, The Spin Doctors made the whole scene a little less exotic and a bit more depressing, so we had to bust.

There was important business at hand. OK Go was off to our first awards show extravaganza. That's right folks, we were invited to the second-ever MTVu Woodie Awards. Even better, Damian was asked to present the award for International Woodie of the Year (or "Vooooodie Intearnacccionaaaal" as Damian referred to it on camera, probably freaking out his college student co-presenter.) It was a very fun time, and not just because of the wide open bar. (If you can't see where this night was going, you're drunker than we were.) We were treated to performances by Death Cab For Cutie, The Go! Team (I want to tour with them, just because the bill would look super funny: OK Go & The Go! Team), and Matisyahu, "The Hasidic Reggae Superstar," who everyone thought did a fine to pretty good job, except for Tim, who was enraged by his presence. (Dr. Nordwind has just informed me he'll be writing a post about Matisyahu in the next few days explaining the fury that burns inside his little Tim tummy.)

I bowed out at this point, as did brother Dan, but I've heard unconfirmed reports of Jorge and Damian mistaking a fancy upper-west side apartment building for Damian's hotel, somehow getting by the worst doorman ever, walking around the fifth floor for half an hour before banging on some poor lady's door at 3am. Which brings up this service announcement: don't drink and be Damian.

Love,
Rusty

* - I've been to the Beacon once before, when I had nose-bleed seats for one of the Allman Brothers annual "50-billion-shows-at-the-Beacon-in-a-week" stints in 1999. To be playing on that same stage six years later was weird, but not as weird as the acid-tripping hippie at the Allmans show. He smelled bad. And he had no rhythm.

** - I take that back. They were both really nice.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Andi said...

Is "in-time-with-the-music-ness" the technical term?

Best advice I've been given all week: "don't drink and be Damian."

Sounds like you guys had fun.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Madison said...

Why do you have to be in New York? Come to Birmingham Alabama, sure it's a shit hole but we are fun as hell!

I need to meet you guys NEED. Damn, I'm a bit creepy.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Matt said...

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you tommorow Mr.Rusty.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"don't drink and be damian"

..thank you for making my sunday evening :o)

hope you and dan get to come to the radio station tomorrow!

<3 me

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When ever I read these blogs, my day gets a little bit better. And a bill reading OK Go and the Go! Team would look uber awesome.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous karleigh the fabulous said...

This is the best blog entry I've ever seen posted by Ok Go, and that's saying something since I've been reading since it began. It just seems so much more real than the other ones.
I so wish they had MTVu on the campus here at Rollins, they have 3 HBO's but only one MTV, this coming from a school that prides itself on all the independant music, the radio station, and having a lot of indie bands visit (the biggest being Hanson). Ok Go and and The Go! Team? Classic.
<3Karleigh

12:20 AM  
Anonymous catherine said...

OK Go and The Go! Team...that would definitely be something awesome!
And the weird thing is, just 2 minutes ago I was watching TV and saw a music video from The Go! Team "Ladyflash", they're pretty good.

P.S. I love your blogs Rusty, they're so fun so read :)

1:32 AM  
Anonymous catherine said...

oops, a little mistake there.

i meant "they're so fun to read :)"

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Mallory said...

Oh, OK Go. I saw you guys in Northampton, and you were so awesome and adorable and loud, and it was so wonderful seeing the new dance (the last time I saw you guys it was still to C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips), and after the show you were all so nice and I fell in love with you all a little more. Rufus Wainwright may be my favorite living musician, but he was not as nice to me. Which means that all you guys are moving up on the list.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous dana said...

Oh my holy shit. That was more than likely the funniest damn thing I've read in my entire life. It's always great to read stories about my favorite celebrities getting really trashed in magazines, but to hear it first hand from none other than Roosty is so much more awesome. I love it. I love you. I love Ok Go. Thank you for being a light in a world of depravity. Even though your drunken escapades-especially the antics of Jorge and Damian-were a tad bit depraved, it was the good kind.

Oh my goodness. I cannot stop laughing. Except for silently, because if I burst out laughing in the middle of my fourth period class, I'd probably be stoned.

And I don't mean the good stoned. I mean the stoned with stones. Ouch.

<3333!!

12:16 PM  
Blogger SmileySweetie said...

Holy &%*#ing shit. (Am I allowed to drop the F-bomb on this thing? Or will people get mad at me??? I censored myself, just to be safe...) I mean, I really have nothing to say beyond that.

Except, WHY DON'T YOU DO THESE THINGS WHEN YOU GET TO NORTHAMPTON???

If Damian got confused and tried to get into one of the campus houses, I'd think it was the greatest thing ever.

Then again, I suppose NoHo is far less interesting than the city. I want to see this MTVu thing, but Smith is silly and doesn't get it. That's what sucks about going to a non-mainstream, women's college. :P Also, it was probably a very wise decision on your part to bow out when you did. You were being a responsible drinker. (If it's possible to be a responsible drinker when you're already drunk...) "Don't drink and be Damian"- oh, that's classic. No wonder he got sick and looked like he was ready to go and suck down a bottle of Nyquil y'all got to Cambridge/Boston. (Then again, maybe Damian + Nyquil = bad idea.)

Okay, now that I've written a novel, I'll shut up now...

~Katy, aka Gumdrop Girl, who is eagerly awaiting aforementioned post by Timothy Charming.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Waseem Sindhu said...

Hello,

I've just started some blogs and shared some very interesting and knowledge sharing articles about making money from your blogs, forums, google AdSense/AdWord or simply when you have an internet connection.

Please review my blogs and I would be very thankful if you leave your comments and feedback.

The URL to one of the blogs is MakeMoney with Google AdSense

Thank you for your time.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Annie Lennon Carroll said...

You guys rocked at Irving Plaza! It was so great to see you jam (and dance) on stage. I had to give your video a shout out on my blog. Why deprive people of a great song and a kick-ass dance? Can't wait til you head back to the Big Apple again.

3:24 PM  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,聊天室,UT聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人圖片區

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home