Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Chapter Forty-Three: A Venti Latte & A Fight To The Death, Please
So, I'm in a Chicago Starbucks now, and I'll be honest, I'm pretty pissed off. Our hotel doesn't have the wireless internet stylings and I want to blog...Starbucks is the obvious (although not free) solution. When I showed up here an hour ago, EVERY single seat was taken. No matter, I figured, someone would leave soon. Boy, was I wrong. Do people live in Starbucks? I don't see any sleeping bags or nightstands, but not a single person has left. I mean sure, sometimes someone will go outside for a phonecall or smoke, but they make sure to leave all their crap on the table so their territory is clearly marked. I just saw a fight over a table. What the hell is going on here?

Well, anyway, I'll write this post hunched on the windowsill and hope my back holds up for tonight's rock explosion. Which reminds me, I'm in a band called OK Go! And that band is playing tonight at Park West with the Kaiser Chiefs! Respect. So far the tour has been wonderful. The Kaisers are truly fantastic gentlemen. We've tried our British accents on them, and Damian's cockney got the nod of approval. (I once was George in an awesome Beatles cover band and had absolutely no clue w/r/t British accents. I basically had one line the entire show when Paul asked: "George, how do you get to America?" My line was: "How?" and quite honestly, I never came close. I suppose it made the show funnier but it really bothered me. [The answer: "Turn left at Greenland."]) The KC set is energetic and rocking and we're looking forward to our remaining dates with them. Definitely check them out when they hit your city.

I think a table just opened up...and I think I see an elderly woman going for it. Looks like this is going to be close. I'll be in touch.

Love,
Rusty

16 Comments:

Anonymous Sylvie said...

You know, this would never happen in New York City because there's a Starbucks every half a block. So, you know, this is my discreet way of saying come to New York.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know i work at barnies in tampa, fl, and if you ever come i'll make sure there's a seat for you and a free coffee of your choice:)
love,laura :)

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so NH doesn't really have any Starbucks, but I have an internet connection, coffee, and more then enough room for you to sit and type comfortably...so come to NH, yeah?

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Rose said...

Tis a shame that you were stuck hunched over at the 'bucks...but to echo the comments of everyone else I have to say COME BACK TO TORONTO!!! There is PLEANTY OF room for you to blog!
YOU GUYS KICK ASS!
*hugs*
Rose

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you won that table. old ladies just need to stay out of the way.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you won that table. old ladies just need to stay out of the way.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous srA* said...

i think sylvie has the right idea:
COME TO NEW YORK, where there is actually a Starbucks in my school!!(or at least down the street)

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Alexa said...

Hey don't leave us hangin. Did you get into a brawl in the middle of a giant crowd chanting, "Go granny!" (sorry but they would obviously be chanting for granny because if their grannys were ever in a fight they would want others to do the same.) and sipping latte? I hope you didn't get hit with a giant old lady purse. Write about your adventures again soon, do you have any good ones from Minneapolis?

Alexa

11:44 AM  
Blogger Daedalus said...

NH doesn't have any starbucks? I should move there. DC has two on every corner, and very few indie cafes.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous fatima said...

you shouldnt go to starbucks. its lamo to the extremo. but if you ever need wireless internet capabilities in chicago then you should go to argo tea on sheffield and armitage. wireless is free.

oh and i work there.

so its obviously better than stupid starbucks.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Leland said...

Yeah its true those independant coffee shops kinda rule with their free internet. Plus the places are just fun to support.

Not that i don't drink my starbucks too. Over here in the northwest you can't avoid drinking starbucks there are so many of them.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Las Vegas Vacations
Thanks

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with rose come to Toronto use our Starbucks'...but I really want to know if you got the tabel over that old lady (if I were you I would've hauled ass and ran to that tabel) You should write a book titled "Rusty vs. Granny" and in every Starbucks that you go in she's there waiting to take your table, yea it sounds weird and slightly corny but I would buy it.

‚ô•Leah

1:40 PM  
Blogger Madfoot said...

my condolences for having to go anywhere near a starbucks. Anyway the kaiser chiefs are great. "Every Day I Love You Less And Less" was my breakup anthem. Rock on.

2:49 AM  
Blogger BeatlesGirl11 said...

Thats awesome you were in a Beatles coverband, and you were George-my favorite! have you ever heard of The Return? They are also a great Beatle cover band! you are sooo awesome! You love baseball, and you were in a Beatles cover band? PLEASE MARRY ME!

10:55 PM  
Anonymous cynthia said...

i totally agree with sylvie.
you can see a starbucks from when you are standing outside a different one. come to the city... WE LOVE YOU! (sorry, the city=manhattan... it's how we new yorkers act pretentious.) come... to new york... and do some dancing in the streets while you're at it. even my parents love you guys...

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home