Monday, April 11, 2005

Chapter 32: This Week in Rock
Les bloggerables,

It's been a while. Too long, to be honest. My apologies, but sometimes access to the internets can be a little tough to find. There's also this abstract idea of laziness, particularly Jorge's. I asked him to post this for me days ago, so I wouldn't be late for soundcheck. Send him hate mail. Anyway, here's a rundown of Last Week in Rock:

Portland, ME (3.30.05)
Something was definitely in the air in Portland. It may have been our most "unfortunate" show yet: Damian was battling a resilient cold, we broke a grand total of four guitar strings (forcing not just the singing of Les Mis, but also Tim's heartfelt performance of his rap hit, "Magic Combination"), plus my handkerchief/pocket square wouldn't stay in one place. We fought through these challenges, though, and came out on the other side. The solution... steroids.

Cambridge/Boston, MA (3.31.05)
I was proud to see how much Boston appreciates the rock. A packed house greeted us and the still-juicing Kulash. They witnessed not only a fine rock performance, but one of the most awkward drum solos ever, capped by a fan screaming, "What the fuck is this?!" Ahh, Boston, I love and hate you at the same time.

New York, NY (4.1-4.05)
We scheduled some days off in New York for a photoshoot for the upcoming album. We shot some wonderfully obnoxious photos. If you think the suits we wear at the shows are indulgent, prepare to be blown away.

On Friday, I made a cameo appearance with my old band the Unsacred Hearts (for which I played bass). Their music could be described as "drunk," a relevant subgenre because it almost contains the word "punk", which is a far better descriptor, and also because it contains the word "dru", which isn't a word, but points to the fact that they drink a lot. They are carrying on wonderfully without me, and have been for a while. In case you're wondering, I left the band, not because I joined OK Go, but because I moved across the country. OK Go may poach hearts and minds, but never bass-playing keyboarder/guitarists. Not that it matters--Unsacred Hearts quickly got another bass player, a guy named, and I'm not making this up, Andy.

Toronto, Canada (4.05.05)
I've learned there's one thing about tour that totally isn't cool: getting sick. Damian had been battling a cold for the last week or so, and we all sort of watched with a healthy dose of fear that one of us would be next. Well, I won the lottery on that one. Fighting illness requires rest and liquids. It does not need 11 hours in a stuffy Dodge Magnum. (A quick note on the 11 hours: our tour manager estimated the drive from New York to Toronto to be 5 hours. It is not. It's a lot longer. I believe our tour manager holds maps upside-down when he reads them.) I apologize if I wasn't my usual chipper self after the Toronto show; I just really needed to get home, get jacked on Vitamin C, and pass out.

Montreal, Canada (4.06.05)
I wasn't expecting Montreal to be so French. But it really felt like another country (though not like Toronto, which also felt like another country--Canada). It was great. The crowd was small, but enthusiastic nonetheless.

So that was the week. Tonight we're playing at Maxwell's as the headliner of the early show: there's a late show after us. I'm sort of excited about the late show as John Davis, formerly of Superdrag, is playing. Davis became a born-again Christian at the end of the Superdrag days, so I don't really know what to expect, but I was a big Superdrag fan, so we'll see.

Love,

Rusty

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sally said...

What a long and triumphant week!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guyss!! glad you enjoyed Montreal, next time stop in Ottawa too, its like a mixure of Toronto and Montreal (with all the french included) AND its prettier!!

I'll see you guys soon hopefully
-France

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Illness sucks. Especially when you're on the road please take care of yourself, and protect yourself from attacks of fever, flu, constipation, diarrhea aaand temptation of pretty girls. ;)

setsumi

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home