Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Chapter Twelve: Quality You Can Taste
Hey web-folk,

Long time no see. This week was a homecoming for me as OK Go rolled into the Los Angeles metropolitan area. While blogging was on my mind, decompressing got the better of me. I promise to resume the daily activities now that we're back at full-steam.

There are a number of things to note about last week, however. Monday was field-trip-day and we spent it checking out the White Sands National Park in New Mexico (pictures to come, hopefully!). Activities included running on sand, rolling on sand, sledding on sand (sleds provided by nice group of AmeriCorps volunteers), and by default, looking at sand. It's a pretty place if you have the time, and enjoy sand.

When we rolled up to the Hotel Congress in Tucson that night we entered a yet undiscovered dimension, one known simply as 80's Dance Night. Now, I've been to a few 80's-relating dancing events before, but the combination of the group of people, the old-school swank of the Hotel Congress and the $1 well drinks made this a little too Twilight Zone for me to handle. At least my hotel room wasn't directly above the dance floor (note: sarcasm). Tucson and I got off to a rough start.

Our triumphant arrival in SoCal began with a lunch at the In-n-Out Burger. I really enjoy In-n-Out (wink, wink). Their formula is simple, yet brilliant. I'd actually like to hear your comments on who makes the best burger in your area, especially if we're playing in your town (use the comments section for the blog). Damian's sitting next to me (steadfastly working on the next OK Go logo, by the way) and wants to know where he can find the best "exotic cuisine." I don't really know what he's talking about, but by contract I'm not allowed to argue with him (or look at him before 6:00 pm).

All of the southwest and West Coast shows were a ton of fun. Thanks to everyone who made it to the show.

I'd like to end this little update by noting that today is, in fact, my birthday. Salt Lake City, prepare to rage.

Love,

Rusty

8 Comments:

Anonymous Tammie said...

is ethiopian food exotic?
dc has some bangin ethiopian resturants...
dc's also got some pretty shitty ones
from the point of view of someone with eritrean parents, the best one is probably on 18th street; addis abeba or something like that... unless you want to venture into maryland
avoid meskerem like the plague
can't help you with the burgers
happy belated.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous antonette said...

you know... you have the same birthday as those triplets in the moffatts. hmmm... amazing.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Evangeline said...

There's a Morrocan Place in DC called Marakesh that's quite nice. I think it's on 14th street. for burgers, though, five guys is my favorite, although I'm not sure there is one in dc.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IN-N-OUT is heaven. its the only fast food i eat.
mmm..
and of course you know about all their hidden menu items, right?
yum yum yum.

and, by the way, when you come to san francisco, the BEST restaurant is called ASQEW. its not TOO exotic, its a grill, but you get the meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc) on skewers with vegetables and a side of whatever you want with it.
it is very filling and very cheap too.
and you MUST have the "garlic mashers"--the best mashed potatoes in my life, and i dont even LIKE mashed potatoes.

my first meal at asqew was the best meal of my life.
GO TO ASQEW!!

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Fabulous Karleigh said...

Hmm, since you guys are already out of Austin, I can't recommend Chuy's Tex-Mex to ya'll anymore. However, you haven't been to Orlando yet, so I think the best food is not at House of Blues where ya'll are performing, but at this place called Houston's in Winter Park. I know it's like a 20 min drive from where you guys will be, but everyone I know seems to love it when they go there. It's kind of a fancy restaurant, but it has a great view of one of the many lakes in the Winter Park/Orlando area. However, Orlando is really lacking in the food catagory, so your best bet is to go to Epcot and pig out on all the regional dishes until you're dangerously close to exploding. Also, you get to see the really hot Norweigen folk in Norway, which I think are hotter than Austinites and the Swedes combined. And that, my friend, is in itself worth seeing.

<3Karleigh

PS: I hope you enjoyed the cake, and happy birthday again! See you guys in Orlando.

PPS: My mom says hi, too, and she really enjoyed ya'll in Dallas.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous ri said...

happy happy birthday!
even if this is way old.
and woah i just noticed you and my friend have the same birthday!
shes a fannnn
so well be at your concerts together!

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why must the sheep flock to in-n-out burger when other, BETTER (fatburger!) places exist??!?

6:18 PM  
Anonymous af said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ANDY!

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home