Monday, March 14, 2005

Chapter Eighteen: Picture Book, A-Scooby-Dooby-Do
If you haven't been to Blueberry Hill in St. Louis, you're missing out on some serious memorabilia. Every wall in the place is comprehensively covered according to different themes, ranging from The Simpsons to 1940s cigarette ads (a Camel ad from 1943 had the amazing line "Doctors prefer Camel to other brands").
The owner also posts pictures of himself with all of the musicians, sports stars and celebrities that come through St. Louis. At a glance you assume he's got them all: Paul McCartney, Jimmy Page, Weird Al Yankovic (now that's an all-star band!). While taking our mandatory picture, I asked him if there was a short list of the few stars that he really wanted on his wall but had never met. He replied, "Well, I've pretty much got a picture with everyone except Madonna and Prince. Those two I really want."

"Hmm... What about presidents?"

"Well, you know, I've got nothing against presidents... but I don't really care for them." I decided that I really like this guy, (and that was before he bought us shots).

If you're thinking about traveling to the top of the arch in St. Louis, don't be a) claustrophobic, or b) afraid of heights. While I'm neither of these things, I waited patiently for one of them to suddenly kick in so I could freak out on everyone. It might have been cool had it happened, but I'm glad it didn't. I'd rather have all of St. Louis feel safe.

Love,

Rusty

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? the egg shaped elevators that you're crammed into with about 4 other people make you feel claustrophobic? me too...and i was a tiny 8 year old at the time

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home